About Me

My photo
United States
My name is Jessie Carlile and I paint miniatures and love to roll dice. I began painting miniatures in 1999 and have never looked back. Painting is very relaxing and rewarding for me and I hope you enjoy the works I share on this website. I have won many awards for my work including the Silver in 2008 and 2009 Privateer Press Masters Painting Competition as well as a Gold in 2010. Enjoy your stay and if you have any questions feel free to contact me!

Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Angry Elves inspired bases

Since I've been working on my Retribution again (after about a year and a half away), I wanted to make some custom bases to help unify the army when they hit the table top.  Since this is going to be a little time intensive, I went ahead and drew out some rough sketches of what I would like each base to look like.  30 MM got 11 sketches, 40 MM got 7 and and 50 received 4. 
The dark areas are going to be the parts of the bases that get the normal gravel treatment, and a busted Myrmidon head or weapon may even make its way onto a few of the bases.  The channels and orbs will follow the standard formula, metallic nodes with bluish-green glowing bits.  The actual ruins themselves will be painted similar to the way the towers are painted in the RoS rulebook.  Once the bases are made, molds will be made so I can cast them for my own use.

If any readers ever plan or are thinking of undertaking an endeavor such as this, I strongly suggest you draw out what you want to do.  I sat for a few hours just trying to throw some bases together without any plans, and needless to say, I was a little disappointed.  However, once I sat down and started drawing, ideas started coming to me, and my ideas became more concrete.  You can actually see that the 30 MM bases aren't quite as realized as the 40 and 50 MM bases are.  

I plan to start working on these soon, and will update my progress here!  

Questions and comments are welcome!

No comments:

Post a Comment