About Me

My photo
United States
My name is Jessie Carlile and I paint miniatures and love to roll dice. I began painting miniatures in 1999 and have never looked back. Painting is very relaxing and rewarding for me and I hope you enjoy the works I share on this website. I have won many awards for my work including the Silver in 2008 and 2009 Privateer Press Masters Painting Competition as well as a Gold in 2010. Enjoy your stay and if you have any questions feel free to contact me!

Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Bases!

All my base are belong to me!  I have bases, and I did not follow any of my plans that I drew out last week.  Hurray for plans!  Now, even though I deviated a great deal from my plans (and there is a reason), I don't want to downplay the benefits of drawing out plans.  They get your creative juices flowing and can help lead you to ideas you may have never come to without sketching.  

Now, here's why I deviated from my plans. The bases I drew out were pretty intricate and would require special tools and a lot of time to fabricate.  Knowing this, I wanted to go ahead and start painting more of my Retribution, so I took simple plaster, carved it into shapes I liked and then added them to bases.  I even added some Retribution pieces from my bits box, though one of them didn't really keep its detail.  I was able to get these done in a day, and that meant I was that much closer to starting to put paint on figures.  

I started making the molds on Saturday morning and made a rookie mistake.  I poured the mold silicone over a few bases without first lightly dusting them with baby powder.  This meant the mold stuck to certain parts of certain bases, ripping tiny bits of the mold out when I pulled the bases away. I was pretty bummed.  I thought this was a failed molding attempt.  Turns out, after messing around with the molds for a bit, it wasn't as bad as I thought, and the lessons learned from that helped me with my second try.

Making the bases was a breeze and after a short while, I had quite a supply built up.  After sanding the bottoms flat with a belt sander and taking care of flash, this is what I have to send my Retribution to war with.

And a few close ups.
 Getting everything ready to cast bases can be a little time consuming in the beginning, in my case a weekend, but once you get the ball rolling you can crank out a lot of bases in no time.

If you have any questions about making molds and casting, feel free to ask in the comments!

(Also, I need to get a cleaner mat or area to take pictures in!)

No comments:

Post a Comment