About Me

My photo
United States
My name is Jessie Carlile and I paint miniatures and love to roll dice. I began painting miniatures in 1999 and have never looked back. Painting is very relaxing and rewarding for me and I hope you enjoy the works I share on this website. I have won many awards for my work including the Silver in 2008 and 2009 Privateer Press Masters Painting Competition as well as a Gold in 2010. Enjoy your stay and if you have any questions feel free to contact me!

Friday, January 18, 2013

Destor Thane WIP

I experimented a bit with my airbrush last night.
I had painted some Destors with my airbrush about a year ago, but that pretty much amounted to me laying down a base coat, then applying a Zenithal highlight.  After that I went in and added line shading and razor edge highlights with a brush.  This was good enough for me at the time, but presently I want to gain more mastery over the tool.

So, last night I cranked out this guy in about an hour.  Differently than my previous attempt, I actually applied shading with the brush and learned an interesting trick.  Keep in mind, I'm an airbrush neophyte, so I'm sure more experienced airbrushers know this.  I turned the model upside down to apply shading and the paint hit all the areas that should be shaded, while a little bit of the overspray added to the shading on areas that are not explicitly shaded or highlighted.  I then did the same thing for the highlights, but rather than a liberal application of Zenithal highlights, I applied the highlights in a more controlled fashion. 

 I learned a few things from this experiment. One, I need a better way to hold figures that I'm airbrushing.  this slipped out of my hand at one point and one of the horns is now chipped.  I need to repair it, but I'm unsure as to how to go about doing this.  I'll either mask off the area and use the airbrush again, or simply do it with a brush.  Two, I need to watch out for little scratches.  Three, the little trick I learned will be fantastically conducive to painting any Dawnguard models.  Two Scyirs, another Thane, a unit of Sentinels and Epic Vyros should be able to be painted in no time.  I'm looking forward to seeing how this applies to Myrmidons as well.

If you have any questions about the technique or colors used, please let me know in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment