About Me

My photo
United States
My name is Jessie Carlile and I paint miniatures and love to roll dice. I began painting miniatures in 1999 and have never looked back. Painting is very relaxing and rewarding for me and I hope you enjoy the works I share on this website. I have won many awards for my work including the Silver in 2008 and 2009 Privateer Press Masters Painting Competition as well as a Gold in 2010. Enjoy your stay and if you have any questions feel free to contact me!

Monday, May 20, 2013

Butcher, revisited

What happens when I have a lens I've never worked with before?  I wait until the night before I like to post to my blog and get a bunch of out of focus, over exposed pictures.

All is not lost, however.  I got a glimpse of what I can achieve with a different lens, as the following pictures show.  This guy won me a gold coin in the 2010 Privateer Press painting contest.  I know I have pictures of him on the blog already, but those pictures were taken with a pocket camera on the floor of my old basement apartment kitchen.  To say the least, they were not as accurate of a representation of the figure as I would like, and I think these are a little closer to what it looks like in real life.  To this day it's still one of my favorite pieces, so he was an easy choice to test a different lens with.







If you want to take pictures of you figures and accurately represent them on the internet, you must not get discouraged when the pictures don't turn out like you want them to.  There are a lot of different factors that must be taken into consideration that can affect the outcome of your photos.  Lighting \and focus are the two biggest things I need to improve and become more comfortable with.  I'm using too much light right now, and I need to figure out a good way to position the light so it's diffused properly and doesn't wash out my figures.

I also learned not to wait until the night before I post to my blog to take pictures of 5 different figures.  I'm too tired to keep up the trial and error.  In order to really learn this camera and develop my skills, I need a good day to just get the feel of this.  What keeps me motivated is the idea of fantastic pictures of my figures, and working out a process that works for me.

Comments and questions welcome!



2 comments:

  1. This model is a favorite of mine. The energy cracks in the base and emotion in the model's face really make it come alive. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete