About Me

My photo
United States
My name is Jessie Carlile and I paint miniatures and love to roll dice. I began painting miniatures in 1999 and have never looked back. Painting is very relaxing and rewarding for me and I hope you enjoy the works I share on this website. I have won many awards for my work including the Silver in 2008 and 2009 Privateer Press Masters Painting Competition as well as a Gold in 2010. Enjoy your stay and if you have any questions feel free to contact me!

Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Dawnguard Scyirs

What good is an army without its commanders?  What good is a Dawnguard army without it's Scyirs?  No good, that's what!

I used to have a Scyir about a year ago, but after participating in a Press Gang painted figure exchange, I was down to zero.  I wasn't really feeling the Retribution at that time, so I went without until after this Christmas.  After a few Amazon gift cards and a couple days wait, I had two brand new shiny Scyirs.

I painted these guys relatively quickly, doing most of the work in a two or three hour session.  I pushed the highlights a little more than I did on the Sentinels, which meant I had to do even less work with the brush.  As with the others, I really love how the red pops on the rank plates.  It's a small detail, but it adds a lot to the models.
I'm becoming more pleased with the metals.  I'm altering the mix found in the Retribution force book slightly, and I think it makes the metals look a little more realistic.  

Next week will see one of the favored 'jacks that these guys like to marshal, or at least, what I like to marshal with them.  I have a few others in mind that I would like to marshal, but I would love to hear opinions!  What are you favorite 'jacks to marshal with these guys?  Don't forget the Sentinels and Invictors!  What do you like to marshal with them?  As always, comments and question on the figures are welcome!


6 comments:

  1. Thanks! I'm pretty excited about the bases. They're going a long way to give the army a more unified look.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look really solid. I like the more extreme contrast and the bases and grime keep them from looking too clean. Great stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm pretty pleased with the improved contrast as well. My Dawnguard will have this degree of contrast movnig forward.

      Delete
  3. These look realy great!
    Would you mind to share which colors did you use and a little tut?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jtay! I've had quite a few inquiries regarding how I paint my Retribution, so I think I'll dedicate a future post to this. I'll try to do a tutorial with pictures to better illustrate what I do. If you look at my previous posts, you should see a little detail on my paint build, but a future post should go into greater detail.

      I'm glad you like them!

      Delete