About Me

My photo
United States
My name is Jessie Carlile and I paint miniatures and love to roll dice. I began painting miniatures in 1999 and have never looked back. Painting is very relaxing and rewarding for me and I hope you enjoy the works I share on this website. I have won many awards for my work including the Silver in 2008 and 2009 Privateer Press Masters Painting Competition as well as a Gold in 2010. Enjoy your stay and if you have any questions feel free to contact me!

Monday, February 21, 2011

Katherine Laddermore dismounted (Giggity)

This figure was a bit of an experiment for me, I painted her as quickly as I could. In an effort to see how long it took me to lay down the basics I painted her in about 6 hours. This is partly to increase my productivity and because I don't have much time to paint since I'm in my final semester of college. I combined a few techniques such as two brush blending and the "juicing" technique to speed up my process. There still a bit to go but I'm happy with the progress. Since I tried to paint her as quick as I could, there's plenty of room for freehand, but I decided to work that into her mounted version. I'm still learning how to take better pictures, it's a little difficult getting the lighting and editing right.


Until next time, happy painting!

3 comments:

  1. Juicing?

    Thats a fantastic model and you have done it justice far too quickly! I am jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, juicing! There was a really good tutorial about the technique on the Reaper forums, but after a few scant minutes of searching, I could not find it. Basically you use thin, translucent layers of paint and pull the pigment where you want it. If you're painting a highlight color pull your brush in the direction you want the highlight to be and after a few layers a nice highlight will build up. Just remember to build your colors normally and use very thin layers of paint.

    ReplyDelete
  3. For 6 hours that looks awesome man!

    ReplyDelete